- Is the business name clearly and consistently identified?
- Does the VOICE of your business emit the tone that you want to set?
- Is the process of reaching a LIVE person and easy one or frustrating one?
Your Website First Glance
- Can a customer/prospective customer immediately see how to contact you by phone?
- Is the navigation simple and direct?
- Does the front page set the tone of your business?
Too often our customers and potential customers can see the holes in our first impressions much easier than can we. As a matter of fact, we are so familiar with our own business that it is hard to see with the eyes of an outsider. In addition to taking the above steps yourself, get a friend or relative who has not called your business and has not visited your website take the steps outlined above. The results may be eye opening from both a customer service and sales perspective.
Another suggestion is to do this same exercise with three or four of your strongest competitors, calling their place of business and visiting their website. You will quickly see their weaknesses and also will be able to identify their strengths. (This is a great exercise in which to involve front-line personnel)
Once this has been completed, sit down with a group of management and front line personnel to discuss how refinements can be made to bolster your first impressions. Being your own consultant can be a profitable adventure!